Our School Counselor: Karin Purugganan
My name is Karin Purugganan, and I am the School Counselor. I was born and raised in Alexandria, where I currently reside with my husband and five kids. When I am not at work, I can be found doing puzzles, playing soccer, and gardening. I enjoy spending time with my family, coaching and watching my kids sports, and reading. I’m passionate about helping kids succeed in school.
Karin Purugganan is the full-time school counselor at Barcroft Elementary School. She can be contacted at email@example.com or 703-228-8114
What does an elementary school counselor do?
An elementary school counselor provides services to all students to improve academic success, support social/emotional development, and promote career and college readiness. Parents/Guardians must notify the school inwriting if they wish toopt their children out of personal/social lessons. Regular counselor tasks include:
- Teaching guidance lessons to all students
- Counseling students individually
- Running programs with small groups
- Supporting school transitions
- Providing information to parents regarding internal and external programs
- Consulting with teachers, parents, and community members
- Conducting needs assessments to inform counseling services
- Providing referrals to external programs and services
When should I contact the school counselor?
If you have any concerns about your child’s academics or their social/emotional state then you can call or email the school counselor. You can also contact the counselor to discuss any of the issues listed above. Due to confidentiality, detailed or sensitive discussions are best held over the phone or in person.
To learn more about the counselor and the counseling services provided at Barcroft please use the menu on the left.