Welcome to FLES
The acronym FLES stands for Foreign Language in the Elementary School.
What is FLES mission?
Our mission is to provide high quality foreign language instruction at a developmentally critical time in a student’s language development. Students participating in the FLES program begin to develop basic communicative skills in the target language while reinforcing and enriching content in other disciplines.
Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools (FLES) Program Goals:
- To develop high levels of proficiency in Spanish at the beginning stage of language acquisition.
- To provide a meaningful context for developing communication skills in Spanish.
- To build an understanding and appreciation for the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world.
- To strengthen the language competency of Spanish speaking students (native or heritage speakers).
The purpose of the FLES Spanish Program is:
- To prepare students to begin developing functional skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish.
- To provide a nurturing environment where students feel comfortable learning a second language.
- To develop proficiency in oral and written communication in Spanish through the integration of language skills and concepts taught in the content areas.
- To encourage all students to develop an openness, understanding and appreciation for other cultures.