What does the PTA do? We would love for you to join us!
The Barcroft Elementary School PTA is a member of the Virginia Congress of Parents and Teachers. The PTA works closely with the administration and staff to provide valuable support and enhancements to members of our school community. The PTA relies on financial contributions and fundraising efforts that together support a wide range of activities and resources for students, staff, and families. The PTA uses its money to:
- Provide local field trips for all grades including the many museums and monuments in the DC area, as well as fund long-distance field trips, such as 4th grade trips to Jamestown and the 5th grade year-end activity.
- Distribute books to all students through Reading is Fundamental (RIF) of Northern Virginia
- Fund special library programs, including author visits and the summer reading program celebration
- Encourage family involvement through social events and other activities that include cultural and holiday celebrations, movie nights, bingo night, our annual back to school and end of year picnics, our annual Friendship Party and the fifth grade promotion celebration
- Support after school enrichment classes in fields such as art, music, sports, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- Cultivate an appreciation of nature by enhancing our learning gardens and outdoor classrooms
- Promote the arts through creative expression and community engagement though Chalk-4-Peace
- Facilitate participation in creative problem-solving programs such as Odyssey of the Mind
- Provide T-shirts for kindergarten students to wear on field trips for identity and safety purposes as well as fifth grade memory T- Shirts
- Develop new or unique projects and initiatives by providing additional teacher resources
- Demonstrate hospitality and appreciation through a staff welcome breakfast, meals during parent-teacher conferences, an annual staff appreciation week, and monthly teacher morale boosters
- Cover required administrative expenses, including insurance and supplies used to publicize PTA events
We invite you to participate in PTA activities and volunteer your time to make each program a success.